Thursday, July 23, 2009

Delicious

I can certainly see the real value in Delicious. I did encounter a problem however when I first started using it a while ago. It was such an aggravation that I reverted back to not using it. However now that I look at it again I think I'll work on it and stick with it.

The problem comes in importing a large collection of existing bookmarks. When I did this I was stuck with two options--either putting everything up with blank tabs, or letting delicious add in common tags. In the first case, it would take hours to tag 300 or so bookmarks. In the second, I find that my list of tags is huge (465) and full of lots of odd labels. In other words, with this second option the tag list is too junky to be of much use.

So the librarian in me can envision a nice list of bookmarks, accessible to me from any computer that I can share with the world. Yes, it all sounds good, but to get my existing 300 bookmarks into useable shape I would have to expend a whole lot of time and energy tagging. One more project to add to my list. Probably worthwhile in the end.

I'll most likely go back and upload my existing bookmarks again, this time leaving them all blank in the tag field. Then I'll start tagging a few each day until I eventually get a workable list.

Another thing I would like to see on delicious is a way to make folders to store groups of links. Maybe I am missing it and just not seeing it. I suppose the tag menu on the right is supposed to do the same thing. My mind I think still works in the "put like items" in a folder from years of windows use :)

No comments:

Post a Comment