Friday, July 17, 2009

Instant Messaging

I am motodew on yahoo messenger. Have used it for years and it is my prefered client (probably just because I am used to it.) Feel free to say hi there. I don't have it on much at work because it can get to be a real timewaster. Sometimes it is up but I stay on invisible. I'll keep it up during the 23 things however (but may be invisible).

I have found it a great way to keep up with friends. I have even used it during the workday to im a collegue across the country to help me with some arcane question I had on microsoft excel. She answered the question and I felt good about using it for a legitimate work purpose instead of yet another quasi-time wasting tool.

We have implemented a chat system at our library. The problem is it is a stand alone product only accessible from our university pages. This limits its popularity greatly. I think an aggregator like Meebo would serve us much better. I think there is a great potential for people to im the library with questions as long as they don't have to disconnect from their existing service. Meebo covers all the basic services and I think it would be an excellent thing for us to set up a presence there.

No comments:

Post a Comment