Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing 8: The Mighty Facebook

Facebook is another of those things I had already set up long ago. It is amusing to see how these things become popular. I made an account at least a year ago and found about 5 friends from college there. I barely used the service at all and would just check it ocassionally. Within a period of a few months as the hype grew EVERYONE I knew from high school, college, former jobs started coming out of the woodwork and making accounts. I noticed many people got way into it and become heavy posters. This period went on for a few months and now I notice that a lot of the activity has died down, at least on my friends list.

This ebb and flow is sort of the story of these technologies for me. Ebb and flow or perhaps boom and bust might be a more accurate way to put it. People get excited about something and rush to it. Then the newness wears off and they are onto something else.

I have enjoyed Facebook as a way to reconnect to many people I had lost track of. But, ever the cynic, like other technologies we are trying during this training, I don't know if I am catching on to the revolutionary aspects of it all. I think the North Texas 23 would have been a lot more interesting to me if I didn't already have accounts at all these places. Looks as if there are some things coming up I haven't tried, so looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment